Work in progress system is an essential part of lean manufacturing. It provides information as a visual indicator that reflects the level of waste a system contains.
This solution includes the set a wider scope of unfinished items for products in a production process. Items that are not yet completed, are either only being fabricated or waiting in a queue for further processing. This is used in production and supply chain management
Key Results of WIP
- Greater Visibility & Accuracy of Raw Material and Production Parts.
- Auto-ID technology and manufacturing work-in-process visibility can help you with materials management functions within the assembly plant—from body shop to end-of-line testing.
- Help reduce downtime and increase on-time delivery with RFID or other Auto-ID readers that trigger replenishment by automatically signaling when containers are empty.
- Support parts sequence verification from receiving to final assembly line delivery by tagging items, cases or pallets.
- Deliver virtual real-time visibility and increase quality by automatically tracking work-in-progress status on semi-finished assembly through the production process.
- Help reduce mistakes with assembly process verification and alerts when semi-finished items or batches are routing to the wrong manufacturing cell.
- Speed urgent production orders with priority identification and alerting.
- Continuous improvement in quality
- Cost is reduced
- Elimination of waste
- Manufacturing time is cut down
- Better productivity
- Lower Work in progress
- Better supplier relationships
- Cost efficient production
- Defect free output
Advantages of WIP
- Real time Traceability
- Easy to identify failures of product at each stages.
- Increase the productivity.
- Helps the management to take corrective action to avoid continuous failures.
- Ease of information management.
- Works orders are tracked through the production process using shop floor data collection terminals, providing costs and times for jobs.
- Captures in-process quality control data, live, on the shop floor.
- Provides a complete audit trail and quality control results detailing who worked on what and when.
- Displays specific, detailed work instructions at each step in the manufacturing process.
- Provides lot control and complete inventory batch or part history.
- Provides real-time shop floor management data for scheduling and purchasing.
- Illustrates real-time visibility of all shop floor activity for management.
- Supports seamless handling of re-work and scrap, including lot control.
- Provides real-time bar-coded driven employee time tracking and inventory movement.
- Enables the company to go completely paperless.